Sketch graph where student defines axis

• Banned

I'm trying to create a question where the student has to draw lines in a graph and also define the axis numbers themselves (so the scale of the graph). Right now the standard is 10x10 and it can only be changed in the question design, not by the student.

Is there any way to do this? Maybe by using math app or changing the source code of the sketch question? Please let me know if you have any tips!

• I guess this would need to be done by a Math App. Is your intention that marks would be allocated for entering an appropriate axis scale? Or simply that the student can change the axis scale themselves?

• Banned

Thanks for the reply!

My intention is only that the student can change the axis scale themselves, grading will be done manually afterwards. Do you know of a way to do this using Mathapp? Or maybe a pre-made mathapp (or question in the maple cloud) which I can download?

Thanks in advance

• administrators

@Grapheur If you are grading manually would a scanned document(i.e. file upload) question type work? If this is not what you are looking for, please could you provide more details on how the students would enter information into the graph?

• Hi Grapheur, I think your idea and suggestion to construct a MathApp for this purpose is interesting. I have tried to do something in that direction in a MathApp worksheet, which is uploaded with this answer and named [ScaleAndSolve_05.mw]. I do not know which lines you want the student to draw in the coordinate window, but I am sure this can be facilitated as well - maybe even with embedded ikons for the relevant actions - as in the built-in question template? I have instead embedded another (somewhat silly, sorry about that) question into the MathApp to show an example of communication with the student. I hope it can be useful and modified for your purpose? Best, Steen.

• Hi @Grapheur, I tried a few minutes ago to upload  [ScaleAndSolve_05.mw] (via the upload ikon) together with an answer to your question, but somehow it seems to have gone astray. I now try to upload the file again with this new note. If it is still not attached properly, I would appreciate, if someone could explain how to do an uploading properly to this platform. Best, Steen.

• @Steen when you reply, you should be able to click on 'File' icon and then Browse your computer. See attached image.

community.PNG

• Hello @cbanks and @Grapheur We tried our best using different browsers, but to no avail. The icon is there, you get the windows file explorer window too, but the file simply disappears after attaching it. On behalf of @Steen, I am sharing his worksheet file as a shared Google Drive file: ScaleAndSolve_05 (Dont mind the preview, use the download icon top right corner)

• That looks like a good way for the students to change the scale. Here is a Math App that handles the 'Draw Lines on a graph' part:

https://www.maplesoft.com/support/help/maple/view.aspx?path=MathApps/Gradeable/DrawLine

Click on 'Download Help Document' to save a copy on your computer.

• Banned

@chrisb @mcla Thank you both for the math app files, these look good! Preferably I would want the option to draw both linear lines and hyperboles, so if you know of a way to do this let me know. For now, I will try to adjust these math apps a bit to fit my needs, but I am not that skilled yet at Mathapp, so if you have any tips, please let me know