How to distinguish "No Answer" and wrong answers in gradebooks

• Hi.

I am on Maple T.A. 2016.1.  

When a student submits an assignment without filling out some of the questions, the remaining questions are (typically) graded wrong and the student is given zero point for that. Then on the student-item table in the gradebook, such answer appears as a "0" entry.

I would like to know whether the "0" entry means such "No Answer" or a no-empty wrong answer. Is there any way? I know that "Your Answer: No Answer" is displayed if one looks into the detailed answer process page but I would like to have a concise summary of all the students and all the items.  Ideally,  one should be able to download a CSV file with 0, 1, real numbers, and N/A point entries in the cell.

Thanks.

• administrators

@hig3 Hi, it shouldn't grade the rest of the assignment incorrectly if a student doesn't enter an answer. Can you share some screenshots of what you are seeing?

• @jmtrik Thank you for your reply.

I meant "For the remaining questions, students are given zero point, which is the expected behavior of the system" by "are graded wrong and the student is given zero point."

I hope the following description and the screenshots clarify the situation.

My quiz consists of five questions (and has a Japanese title). A students attempted the quiz five times. 

In the first attempt, he/she answered all the five questions correctly and submitted the quiz at the fifth question.

In the second attempt, he/she answered the first two questions correctly, left remaining three blank, and submitted the quiz at the fifth question.

In the third attempt, he/she  answered the first two questions correctly, left the third question blank, and submitted the quiz there.

In the fourth attempt, he/she  answered the first two questions correctly, left the third question blank, and closed the browser window there.

The progress column of the fourth attempt turns green after submission or force-grade.

In the fifth attempt, he/she answered the first two questions correctly, responded the rest by no-empty wrong answers, and submitted the quiz at the fifth question.

The last four cases cannot be distinguished on the Student-Item table. I wish to distinguish the fifth from the (2,)3,4 th  by, for example, having N/A-like indication instead of 0 entry.

If the instructor look into each student's detail page, he/she can distinguish the 5th because the  2,3,4th response is  "No answer". That "Your response" field is included also in the CSV file. But I wish to have such no answer vs no-empty wrong answer distinction for all the students in a single operation.

By the way, "No answer" includes both the case where the student had a look at the question and somehow selected "empty string" as the answer, and the case where the student aborted the quiz without seeing the question.

• @hig3 Unfortunately you are correct, these cases cannot be distinguished on the Student Item table at the moment. Though I can see the argument for this to be added.

One thing that has already been added this year in Mobius, is the distinction on each student's detailed test record page. The extra icon below indicates the student did not see the question at all.

• @cbanks Thank you for explaining the situation. I am glad to hear that the distinction has been added on Mobius and could be added in more places in the future.